2017 was a pretty incredible year for me. I got to be in an Olay campaign with my mom, was profiled in Vanity Fair, danced with the Rockettes, judged Glamour’s Beauty Awards, was on a billboard in Times Square, and meet so many of my idols! And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. If I’m being honest the whole year was a bit of a blur. Which is why every New Years Eve, I take an hour to go through my Instagram feed, blog posts and just reflect on all the incredible things that have happened. So here we go, my top moments of 2017 (in no particular order)!
- Being profiled in Vanity Fair. I mean… #goals.
2. Seeing my face on a billboard in Times Square! I hosted a Facebook Live with Sophia Bush for Sunglass Hut that was streamed on a billboard in Times Square. It was incredible.
3. Getting this Owl necklace from Iris Apfel’s personal jewelry collection. She hosted a trunk show of her one of a kind vintage pieces she’s thrifted throughout the years and I walked away with this incredible piece.
4. Being in Greece with Patricia Field and Debi Mazar, two women I’ve literally admired my whole life. From cruising around Mykonos in an ATV, to epic lunches overlooking the Mediterranean, this vacation was the definition of paradise.
5. Getting to judge Glamour’s Beauty Awards for the 2nd year in a row.
6. Being in an Olay campaign with my mom and being apart of the 28-day clinical study for the famed Regenerist and Total Effects moisturizer.
Also being in Health Magazine for the campaign!
7. Got to workout with the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall and learn their moves thanks to Gillette Venus!
8. Getting to hug Joe Biden!
9. Walking in my first fashion show for Livari during fashion week!
10. Being punked by Harry Connick Jr. show Harry, while eating a sandwich at Alidoro.
11. Going to Paris Couture Week with Morgan Taylor Lacquer for the first Rodarte and Proenza Schouler couture shows. I got to be with the designers and beauty teams during the tests while the looks were being finalized as well as backstage and front row for both shows. The biggest highlight was picking the fresh flowers off the sidewalks of Paris for Rodarte’s nail look created by the legendary Tracylee Percival.
12. Talking sunglass trends with Extra for Sunglass Hut. I had so much fun doing this segment.
13. Visiting Mexico City and seeing Frida Kahlo’s house.
14. Meeting my skincare hero Cate Blanchette at an SK-II press preview.
15. Meeting Rihanna and attending the Fenty Beauty launch party. My hand was shaking so hard when I took this.
16. Meeting Gwen Stefani and seeing her flaweless-ness in person. I’ve been obsessed with her since High School. No Doubt was the it show to get tickets to, and I will forever love Revlon for giving me this moment.
17. Going to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland and getting to tour the facility and see how the products are made. Considering this isn’t open to the public, it was a huge honor and experience.
And then actually getting to go in the Blue Lagoon…
18. Working out and literally get my @$$ kicked by Neil Patrick Harris. He’s so in shape and totally helped me get through the class.
19. That time Kevin Murphey did my hair!
20. Getting to be the best man for my best friend’s wedding in what was the most epic wedding of my life. Team Mike and Heather forever!
21. Meeting Peter Lindbergh at the Pirelli Calendar launch party. My friend Dan flew a day early into New York to be my date and while we wanted to meet him (or rather I did since Dan’s been to his events in the past), he was mobbed with friends and fans so we just enjoyed the event. Later we called an uber and as we waited outside, he exited and was waiting for his car so we had some time together and this photo, which was magical.
22. Getting to do a video for New Beauty magazine. Literally being on air talking about skincare and working with such a beauty focused publication was a dream for me.
Also shout out to them for having me as a New Beauty Influencer and putting me in the magazine!
23. Making it to Nashville for the total Eclipse of the sun. I’ll never forget the magic that was August 21, 2017.
24. Being reunited with It Cosmetics founder, Jamie Kern Lima for the brands biggest launch yet: 52 products at Ulta Beauty. And they celebrated by creating the most epic beauty playground (I’m talking mascara slide, foundation compact swings, eyebrow brush seesaws…).
25. Road tripping from LA to Vegas for my first Cosmoprof show, where I judged the ICMAD beauty awards. A big highlight from the award ceremony was getting to meet the founders of Manic Panic, Tish and Snooky, who FYI used to be Blondie’s backup singer.
26. Watching Patricia Field be honored at the 14th annual COAF Gala and being presented with the Humanitarian Award by Vanessa Williams. I feel so blessed everyday to have such an inspiring role model in my life.
27. Meeting Andy Cohen at the UGG x Six:02 launch party.
28. Being reunited with Smith & Cult Founder (and the original founder of Hard Candy), Dineh Mohajer, who growing up was one of my big beauty heros.
29. Hanging out with Avon and Lucy Hall at Marie Claire for the Beauty Boss luncheon
30. Coachella. So many amazing parties, performances and friends. And I closed with a trip to Joshua Tree, which is one of my favorite places.
31. I finally met Kate Sommerville. Her Exfolikate Intensive Treatment is one of my all time favorite products
32. Doing an unforgettable wine tour with the Virginia tourism board and spending an unforgettable stay at the Salamander Resort.
33. Hosting the Swarovski Remix Party with Skai Jackson and making the party pages of Gotham Magazine.
34. Judging the Belmont Longines Fashion Contest.
35. Seeing my face in the last issue of Nylon Magazine ever. That’s actually bittersweet since I loved this magazine.
36. Meditating with Gabby Bernstein thanks to Gaia Herbals. I wish we were best friends, but clearly Charlie is vying for the same spot.
37. Going to the Veuve Clicqot polo match with James and getting to see Alicia Keys perform!
My outfit from the match was also illustrated and posted in The Daily, which was pretty cool. Granted they spelled my name wrong, but it’s the thought that counts.
I’m so grateful to everyone that made these experiences and so many more possible for me. I started this tradition in 2013 and kept it up in 2014, and 2015, and 2016 and it’s my favorite way to keep track of my major life moments. It’s something I recommend everyone does in whatever format fits you best. When things get tough these are the moments that motivate me to keep going.
Cheers to new experiences and all that’s ahead in the new year. The bar is set high, but the best is yet to come! Happy New Years everyone! xoLara