Nail trends and care expert, and President of Custom Nail Solutions, Katie Saxton shares her 5 tips on how you can keep your nails healthy and in tip-top shape this season:
1. Moisturize the Cuticles: To keep your cuticles in tip-top shape throughout the spring season, soak fingertips (making sure to cover the entire cuticle area) in olive oil for 10 minutes. Massage the oil in and leave on, or wash hands after ten minutes and apply a good hand cream. Olive oil performs moisturizing magic and will keep your cuticles looking pristine and fabulous.
2. Use A Nail Buffer: This spring, buff your nails regularly to keep them from cracking. Purchase a buffer from your local beauty store and, starting at each nail’s cuticle, move forward to buff the entire nail bed.
3. Apply A DIY Nail Hardener: One of the best ways to condition your nails at home is by applying a nail hardener. You can make one at home! First make sure the nails are completely washed, dry, and free of color. Whip up a DIY nail-hardening soak containing: 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 egg yolk, and 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Mix the ingredients well and keep in the refrigerator. For each nail, use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the entire nail, sides of the nail, and corners, as these areas are the most likely to experience breaks and chips. Rub the mixture in and let sit for an hour. Wash your hands and apply a good hand cream.
4. Massage the Nail Beds: Make sure to regularly massage the nail beds in order to promote blood flow to the nails. This will keep your nails healthy and in good shape throughout spring and beyond.
5. Remove Cuticles Properly: This spring season, regularly push your cuticles back with an orange stick or cuticle tool. Whenever your cuticles become visible, snip them off immediately with a good pair of nail scissors. Resist the urge to pick at them, as this could lead to unsightly dry and ragged cuticles.