It’s the moment most of us have been waiting for. After 3+ months, we can finally say goodbye to our gray hairs, our split ends and remember what we looked like in the old normal. For us in NYC, this was the week! I went to see Carlos Lopez at West Vibe, a gem in Hell’s Kitchen in NYC. He took me from Quarantine Lara to pre-Quarantine Lara in a few hours. Just look at that before and after, I’m literally a new woman. I will not miss my DIY hair cuts.
For anyone looking to book an appointment here are a few tips.
- Do a virtual consultation, less is more when it comes to the amount of time you spend in salon.
- Ask if they accept Venmo for tips.
- Make sure a full PPE staff uniform will be worn at the salon you go to.
- Try to get the first appointment of the day, less bodies before you = less risk. That’s one of my general hacks, but you can also ask for a less busy time but it’s good to have an understanding of what you’re walking into — how many active stations does the salon have, how many booking they are taking at a time…
- Make sure the salon is offering plexiglass dividers or some type of separation policy.
- Make sure to read/ask their policies in advance of going in and what you need to know.
- I don’t recommend considering any salon that isn’t requiring/enforcing masks and taking all guests temperatures upon arrival.
- Make sure each station and tools will be sterilized in between each and every client.
- Lastly, wear a disposable or mask you don’t mind ruining a bit if you’re doing color. It’s inevitable you might get a little dye on it if you’re getting your hair colored.
For anyone wanting to visit my colorist, ask for Carlos Lopez at West Vibe, 451 West 46th Street btw 9th and 10th ave. Set up a virtual consultation in advance!