Let’s face it, men can be impossible for shop for. Dad’s especially –they tend to buy what they need and take everything else as clutter (or maybe that’s just mine). Here are a few ideas and some of my favorites for the category!
1. Pick a great scent! Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin Cologne ($55/30ml, $105/100ml) – Scents are a very personal choice, yet this one hasn’t failed me yet. Although it’s unisex, every time I wear it, men compliment me on it. Generally the remark is something along the lines of, ‘that’s a great scent’ or ‘Is that Jo Malone? I wear it too!’ They all have great taste.
2. A weekender bag – Lands’ End Canvas 1963 Trip Bag ($130) – Something that’s missing out of most men’s closets are a great weekender. This one form Land’s End has that minimal, masculine charm, while still being incredibly functional (and practical) at the same time. Something he never knew he always needed.
3. Headphones – Bose QuietComfort Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones ($299) – If he’s a headphone man, at some point it’s just worth investing in a great pair… especially if he travels a lot.
4. Charging station – Powermat Portable Wireless Charging Mat ($99.99, on sale for $59.99) – If he owns a lot of electronics or travels with several, a portable, compact charging station is both convenient and helps get rid of the bulk!
5. A Sweater – J. Crew Cotton-cashmere V-neck Sweater ($59.50, on sale for $29.99) – Sweaters are maybe cliche’s like ties, but non-the-less super practical and something you’ll notice him wearing for years to come. Just pay attention to if he’s a crew-neck or v-neck kinda chap.
6. Skincare Set with Case – Kiehl’s Dopp Kit for Men ($59.50) -A fully functional and stylish men’s travel case, designed in Italy by world-renouned photographer and blogger, Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist”. It holds everything from cuff-links (the case has multiple pockets) to your favorite products. Included in the set is Kiehl’s face wash, moisturizer, lip balm, shaving cream and soap all travel-approved sizes.
7. Travel Size skin care products – (Malin+Goetz) 1 oz Essential Kit ($30) – If he’s a big traveler or gym goer (and already has the case to hold the products) this set has every product your man could need while on the go (with the exception of shaving cream). It’s also a fun way to try a medley of new products.
8. A candle – (Malin+Goetz) Dark Rum Candle ($52) – I’m convinced men love candles as much as we do, and this dark rum scent is one of my favorites for men (Jo Malone and Votivo are also at the top of my list). Brand isn’t as important as just finding one that’s reminiscent of the one you’re choosing it for. Plus, men smell.
9. Magazine Subscription – Robb Report (1yr/$65) and Architectural Digest (1yr/$24) – Whether or not he can afford them, fancy cars, fine wine and spirits, and gadgets rank high on my dad’s list, so a subscription to the Robb Report is up his alley. He’s also in the process of building his second house so he appreciates architecture or interior design magazines. When picking a subscription, choose something he’s interested in. It’s a fun way to have him think of you every time a new issue comes in the mail.
10. An experience – Whether it’s tickets to a movie, laser tag, pilot lessons or a day at the driving range, a gift that’s something you can do together is always a great way to go. Put some thought into it and figure out something fun! Discount sites like LivingSocial or Groupon often have fun deals on these types of things and at a fraction of the price.