It’s been a very ambitious year for me with evolving Pretty Connected to now include an accessories line and while there are days I’m spread so thin, I never want to lose site of my passion projects and using my voice to help make change. Mental health and how we treat ourselves, others and the environment has become a big priority for me. I’ve partnered with Claudine DeSole on a new ‘Instead of’ project where we aim to build a positive community that can be a resource and share ways to better ourselves, our work environment and promote sustainability while highlighting brands and individuals making real change.
‘Instead of’ is a social media movement (follow us @insteadofmovement) that is all about taking small (to big steps) to make a major impact and create a more mindful community. The movement is less about telling you what to do and more about keeping our audience informed and offering resources so they are aware of the impact and ways we can be more mindful. It’s about community, sharing ideas and resources. ‘Instead of’ will be a year-round program highlighted online through social media, this website, events and eventual podcast (coming soon).
The kick off event was hosted at the Gregory hotel, where guests could meet different green brands and learn about everything from composting, solar energy, to reversing your carbon footprint. Braid bar by Caravan Stylist Studio and Aveda, Nourison curated the carpets and gifting was provided by Hello Products, MPOWERD, Tribute, Dropps, Dope Naturally and Aveda. Guests enjoyed cocktails, Harmless Harvest, and Williamsburg Pizza, while designer, Ariana Ost was also on hand to chat with guests about chakras and how to be more mindful. More on our sponsors and activations below!
The event also debuted out video series featuring various actors, brands and individuals sharing their ‘instead of’ hacks when it comes to being mindful to of the planet. Everything form using reusable straws, how to sustainably recycle packaging, Christmas trees and beyond!
Meet our contributors:
- Alysia Reiner, actress, activist, producer and co-founder of Livari
- Toni Trucks, actress on Seal Team on CBS
- Annie Jackson, Co-Founder and COO of Credo Beauty
- Nicole Rechelbacher, co-owner of Intelligent Nutrients
- Mike Indursky, former President of Bliss and CMO of Burts Bees
- Dr. Terry Zickerman, Founder of Love Sun Body
- Mike Korchinsky, Founder of Wildlife Works
- Tabitha St. Bernard-Jacobs, Co-founder of the zero waste clothing line Livari, and the Women’s March Organizer.
- Rebecca Gregory, VP of education for Simply Organic Beauty
- Nicholas Reichenbach, Founder and CEO of Flow water
- John Salzinger, founder of MPOWERED
- Jessica Schreiber, Founder of FABSCRAP
- Sylwia Wisenberg, Founder of Dope Naturally and Bawdy Beauty
- Ben Larkey, Founder BAL Associates
- Antoinette Beenders, Global Creative Director of Aveda
- Jonathan Propper, Founder of Dropps
- Steven Phan, Founder Come Back Daily
- Joy Reese, Vice President of Skinny & Co.
- Nicholas Reichenbach Founder & CEO, Flow Water
- Keshia Hannam, Co-founder of Camel Assembly
- Lara Eurdolian, Founder Pretty Connected and co-founder of Share Your Beauty
- Claudine DeSola, Founder Caravan Stylist Studio and co-founder of the sustainable, zero waste clothing line, Livari
Special thank you to Tribute for helping us create this video!
More about the brands included in our Earth Day launch that are making a difference: